School Nurse: Mrs. Cathy Zanghi
Hours: Tuesday and Thursday, 8:00 – 4:00 p.m.
Nativity’s nurse is always ready to help. School nurse services include: screening for vision, hearing and scoliosis; evaluation of health physicals; and height & weight checks. In addition, the nurse is actively involved in promoting healthy living by encouraging good nutrition, rest, physical activity and good personal hygiene.
Our nurse is an RN with years of hospital and in-school service.
Students can only return to school after an illness when they are fever free for 24 hours without medication.
If your child gets sick, it is often most appropriate to keep him/her home from school. A child who is sick will not be able to perform well in school and is likely to spread the illness to other children and staff. Please make arrangements for childcare ahead of time so you will not be caught without a place for your child to stay if he/she is ill. Encourage good hand washing and cough/sneeze into their elbow.
Keep your child home if:
- Fever in the past 24 hours (without Tylenol or Motrin)
- Vomiting in the past 24 hours
- Diarrhea in the past 24 hours
- Sore throat
- Strep Throat (must have been taking an antibiotic for at least 24 hours before returning to school)
- Bad cold, with a very runny nose or bad cough, especially if it has kept the child awake at night.
- Head lice – unless they have been treated according to the nurse or doctor’s instructions.
- Influenza like illness must be fever free for 24 hours per CDC.
- Pink eye must be treated for 24 hours.
If your child becomes ill at school and the school nurse feels the child is too sick to benefit from school or is contagious to other children, you will be called to come and take him/her home from school. It is essential that your child’s teacher have a phone number where you can be contacted during the day and an emergency number in the event you cannot be reached. Please be sure that arrangements can be made to transport your child home from school and that childcare is available in case of illness. If your daytime or emergency phone number changes during the year, please notify your child’s teacher immediately. Everyone needs to prepare for the upcoming flu season with alternate childcare plans. These guidelines are meant to serve the best interests of all the children in our school. If you have questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to call 662-7572.