New York State Education Guidelines state that any prescription or over-the –counter medication may be administered by school personnel if a parent submits a written request for medication administration.
The following procedure must be followed:
- The child’s physician must request in writing that a specific medication be given, prescribe the dose to be given, the time and duration of the treatment, and the reason for the medication being given.
- The parent should sign the request asking the school personnel to give the medication.
- The medication should be delivered directly to the designated school personnel (i.e. school nurse) by the parent.
- The medication must be clearly labeled with adequate instructions.
- The medication will be kept in a locked area, inaccessible to students.
- Non-prescriptive medication and cough drops require a note from the parent. It should be in the original container.
- Children should never carry medication to school or have it with them during the day.